Storm damage prevention tips
We know that storm damage can happen at any time. Storm damage includes hazardous conditions produced by damaging high winds, large hail, storms, strong winds, freezing rain and even flooding. It is important to understand how severe weather can affect you and your family. All of this is of concern as we enter hurricane season.
Storm damage prevention tips
Have you thought about having a professional inspect your roof? Request a shingle, tile or flat roof and flashing inspection. Having your roof inspected by a professional can help you determine whether your roof needs repairs before the rainstorm. You want your roof shingles or tile and your flashing which are the metal strips at the boundaries of your roof to be in good condition. One of the best ways to protect your roof is by performing preventive maintenance and repair inspection.
Why does water pool?
There are different types of roofs. Some roofs are flat, water tends to pool in flat roofs. If your roof does not have the proper slope for drainage the water will pool after every rainfall and your roof will get damaged. It is also beneficial to check your rain gutter system: is it working properly? If you have a gutter system, make sure is free of debris.
How old is your roof?
The safety of your family is a priority. Have an expert inspect your roof, if its weak or has widespread damage, consider having your roof replaced. If you notice signs of brown patches or leaks, they will not go away, they will get worse once the rain comes. If you are a new homeowner find out the age of your roof. Keep in mind that roofs over 15 years old could potentially fail during a storm.
Keeping your family safe should be a top priority. Creating a home safety kit and having an emergency plan is also important. Here is a list of items you should always have ready if you live in an area where storms happen.
- Water: One gallon, per person, per day, for three days
- Non-perishable food: enough for three days
- Battery powered radio
- Extra batteries
- A first aid kit
- Extra medications
- A multipurpose tool (like a Swiss Army Knife)
- Sanitary or personal hygiene products
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone and chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map of the area
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers, etc.…)
- Pet supplies (leashes, collar with ID, food carrier, bowl, food)
- Tools and supplies for securing the home
- Extra set of car keys and house keys
- Extra clothing, hat, and sturdy shoes
- Insect repellant and sunscreen
- Camera for taking pictures of hurricane damage
Get a Roof Inspection
Whether you need to repair or replace your roof, you can count on our team of experts to thoroughly inspect your roof and give you our honest and most professional opinion in regards to what your options are and what the best course of action is to keep your roof safe. We only use top brand roof materials. We will be happy to do a roof inspection for you. Call Affordable Roofing, your expert roofing contractor’s in Florida today to schedule an appointment!